If you burn wood on an open fire or in a woodburning or multifuel stove, by the very nature of the fuel, you will be creating smoke containing wood tar creosote. The lower the temperature of the fire and the higher the moisture content of the wood, the greater amounts of creosote you will be producing.
Smoke and Creosote is made up of the unburned natural resins, waxes and oils in the wood, plus steam and ash from the surface of the log, it also contains noxtious poisonous gases such as carbon monoxide. This toxic cocktail of fumes rises slowly through a cold flue depositing layers of flammable creosote material on the inner walls of the chimney. With many fires over a short period of time, this material can build into a thick highly combustible material, which can ignite explosively and cause a serious uncontrollable chimney fire.
It is essential anyone planning to install and use a woodburning stove also learns of the consequences of not dealing with smoke and creosote. Here are a few simple tips to keep you safe and help you cope with using wood as a heat producing fuel source
We are a Birmingham based family business with over 25 years experience in the specialist fields of fires, flues, and chimneys for smoke control areas. We carry an extensive range of stoves and accessories and offer a flue inspection and remediation service.